Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Tuolumne River Rafting Part 1.

Hello Fish Heads...









I have so much to tell; aquatic macroinvertebrates, herps, FISH, geomorphology, hydrology, dam regulation, the River Continuum Concept, tributary input, the list goes on. On top of that, I just got a new job working for the man, where I get to trout fish all over the state for 5 months. And get paid! This weekend I'm buying a new fly rod for my Rogue River summer steelhead vacation in July. Or, rather, I'm going to look at fly rods. Nerdy science stuff soon to come.

Pictured below: rapids, the North Fork, pteronarcys (salmonfly) and its excuvia, and sierra newt.









So many cool things to see in so little time. Only 1 fish, however, was caught during this time-- a 15" brown trout from the mainstem river. We did see some trout and suckers, though. Next time, we will bring angling and sampling equipment. Can't wait!

1 comment:

  1. Salmonflies already??? I saw shucks a couple of weeks ago in PA, but I thought that in the west, things didn't get going until June at the eariest. Though judging by the vegetation, you were low in elevation. Were the fish interested?

    ReplyDelete